February 18, 2014

German Pancake

Tuesday Eats: German Pancake
I've always wanted to try to make my own German Pancakes (also sometimes called "Dutch Babies" which creeps me out), but I had a feeling that I would somehow mess them up. Well, I'm here to tell you that I did, in fact, mess up my first attempt at making one. They are supposed to be fluffy, but mine was quite flat. It still tasted great, but it didn't stack up to the ones I've had in the past at restaurants. It was a kind of like a big fried dough-popover-crepe monster. Delicious! But not how I expected it to turn out. If at first you don't succeed, try again- am I right?! Next time I think I'll use a smaller pan (I think that's why mine was so thin) and follow the recipe word for word. I also accidentally left it in the oven for an extra ten minutes-oops! Sometimes my instincts are very off when baking!

This is slightly adapted from this recipe from Real Simple.

What you'll need:
-4 eggs
-3/4 cup flour
-1/2 cup milk
-2 pinches of salt (I didn't measure and probably should have?)
-2 tablespoons of butter (I used a little bit more than two)
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 teaspoon nutmeg
-2 teaspoons cinnamon
Tuesday Eats: German PancakeTuesday Eats: German Pancake
Tuesday Eats: German Pancake
Tuesday Eats: German Pancake
Tuesday Eats: German PancakeTuesday Eats: German Pancake
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees and place cast iron skillet inside to warm up.
2. Whisk eggs. Add flour and mix well.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix again.
4. Take skillet out of oven and place the butter on it to melt.
5. When the butter has completely melted, pour the batter into the skillet and place inside oven.
6. Cook for 20 minutes. I accidentally left mine in for an extra 10 minutes. This is probably why it was slightly dry and hard, and not as fluffy as I wanted.
7. Serve with berries, powdered sugar, maple syrup, or all of the above! I warmed some strawberries to eat with mine.
Tuesday Eats: German PancakeTuesday Eats: German PancakeTuesday Eats: German Pancake
 Enjoy! (And maybe don't overcook it...) xx Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment