March 9, 2014

Sunday Sweets: Custard & Roasted Blueberries

Description of Photo
This week I have been really craving comfort foods and what is more comforting than warm, creamy custard? I found this simple custard recipe and this roasted blueberries recipe and decided to go for it. I have never attempted to make custard before, and it was more challenging than I had hoped. The first batch was like soup, even after an insane amount of stirring and waiting. I tried again and the second time made sure to REALLY beat the yolks & sugar combo. This time it thickened more but still not as much as I thought it should. Overall I was slightly underwhelmed with it and I think next time I will try a different recipe. The blueberries, however, were DELISH.

What you'll need:

Custard
-10fl oz
-1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean pod
-2 egg yolks
-1 TBSP sugar

Roasted Blueberries
-1 c. blueberries
-1 1/2tsp sugar
-lemon wedge

1. Heat the milk with the vanilla pod until it just comes to a boil. (if using extract hold off until the last step) Meanwhile, heat oven to 450. Sprinkle sugar and squeeze lemon wedge over blueberries and roast 10-15min.
2. Beat yolks and sugar until they pale in color and fall in ribbons off whisk.
3. SLOWLY pour hot milk into yolk mixture while whisking vigorously.
4. Once mixed, pour custard back into pan and heat over low while continuously stirring until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon (5-6 min).
5. Pour into bowls, and top with roasted blueberries! ENJOY!

Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo

xxSamantha

No comments:

Post a Comment