January 12, 2014

Sunday Sweets: Coffee Cake

Coffee cake
This weeks sweet recipe is one of my all time faves. It's tradition in my family to eat this, warm, for breakfast Christmas morning. It's BEYOND delish. Trust me.

When I was half way done making the cake batter this time, I realized I didn't have brown sugar...SO I improvised a bit with using natural cane sugar in it's place. And instead of mixing the topping with a mixer, I just cut the butter (which I changed from 3 TBSP to 5 TBSP to make up for the lack of brown sugar) into little cubes, evenly distributed them and VOILA- delicious coffee cake topping.

What you'll need:


Cake: 
-1 1/2 c Flour
-1/2 c Sugar
-2 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/2 c milk
-2 TBSP. butter, melted
-1 egg, slightly beaten
-1 c shredded cheddar cheese
-1 c chopped apple

Topping: 
-1/3 c Flour
-1/3 c packed brown sugar
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-3 TBSP. butter, cold 

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. In a small mixing bowl combine all cake ingredients except apples & cheese. 
3. Beat on low speed, scrape bowl often, until well mixed (1-2 minutes). 
--Don't freak when the consistency is more like bread dough than cake batter, you're doing it right.
4. Stir in cheese and apple. 
5. Spread into 9"square, greased, baking pan. 
6. In a small bowl stir/mix together topping ingredients to form crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. 
7. Bake 25-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 
Ingredients for batter
apples and cheddar
topping for coffee cake
Topping close up
Apple Cheese Coffee Cake

Enjoy!
xxSamantha

No comments:

Post a Comment