January 14, 2014

Leek, Zucchini, and White Bean Soup

Zucchini Leek Soup
This recipe is from Food: Vegetarian Home Cooking by Mary McCartney. This cookbook has really lovely recipes and the photography is GORGEOUS. All of the recipes are pretty simple too which is always a plus in my book.

What you'll need:
-2 tablespoons vegetable or light olive oil
-2 medium leeks
-2 medium zucchini
-1 stalk celery
-15 ounce can of white beans (note- I didn't use canned beans when I made this. I prefer to use dry beans and cook them myself, so I used about 1/2 a cup of dried cannellini beans which came out to about 1 1/2 cups once cooked)
-3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
-1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs (note- I used fresh chives and fresh thyme. I had them on hand and needed to use them, so I figured I'd mix things up a bit! I didn't measure; I just went with my gut)

1. Wash the veggies. Trim and finely chop the leeks and the celery. Finely dice the zucchini as well.
2. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
3. Gently fry the leeks until they're soft (this took about 5 minutes)
4. Stir in the zucchini, celery, and beans. Fry for another 4-5 minutes. I added the fresh herbs after a couple of minutes too. The original recipe says to add the dried herbs at the next step though.
5. Pour in the veggie stock. Mix well.
6. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
7. Allow the soup to cool and then puree in a blender. The recipe says that you can make it as thin or chunky as you prefer. Mine was a teeny bit on the chunkier side.
8. Pour the soup back into the saucepan to reheat.
Zucchini Leek Soup Zucchini Leek Soup Zucchini Leek Soup Zucchini Leek Soup Zucchini Leek Soup Zucchini Leek Soup Zucchini Leek Soup Zucchini Leek Soup
The recipe says this is good served with croutons on top, but we ate it with a side of delicious fresh bread. It was the perfect meal for these chilly nights!
Zucchini Leek Soup

xx Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment